Mockingbird: Day 19 February 21, 2017Posted by garvoille in Uncategorized.
After our reading time today, students worked on completing the following charts:
HW: Complete your chart for tomorrow! Read ch. 19, 20, 21, 22 for Friday (Mockingbird). Read to the end of Section 6 for Monday (Watchman).
Mockingbird: Day 18 February 20, 2017Posted by garvoille in Uncategorized.
Today we read aloud chapter 19 with some reader’s theater in addition to doing our oral quiz.
HW: For Friday, read ch. 19, 20, 21, 22. (Standard, that’s ch. 19 and ch. 21)
Watchman, read all of Part 6 for Monday. (stop at Part VII)
Mockingbird: Day 17 February 17, 2017Posted by garvoille in Uncategorized.
- Free read
- Oral quiz on reading for today.
- Preview of Ch. 17-18 on film.
HW: Mockingbird, read ch. 17-18 this weekend (for Monday). Watchman read ch. 14 and 15.
Mockingbird: Day 12 February 9, 2017Posted by garvoille in Uncategorized.
- Free read
- We gathered in our motif groups and began working on our Motif Logs. Students should have completed 1-2 entries in their time with the group.
- In some classes, we began discussion the intersections of our motif and the wider world.
HW: Read Chapters 5, 6, 7, 8 for tomorrow!
Wordy Wednesday: Unit 2 Test! February 8, 2017Posted by garvoille in Uncategorized.
Today we took our Unit 2 vocab test on the 10 prefixes and 10 or 15 vocabulary words. If you were absent, you need to see Ms. Garvoille to make up the test before or after school. It will take 40 minutes, so you won’t be able to do it during lunch.
HW: Read Lee chapters 5, 6, 7, 8 for Friday! If you’re pacing yourself, that means half the chapters tonight, half tomorrow!
Mockingbird: Day 11 February 7, 2017Posted by garvoille in Uncategorized.
- We started today with a freeread.
- Then, we reviewed vocab in partners for the test tomorrow.
- Next, students finished their oral quiz questions.
- Finally, we gathered in motif groups to write down 5 events that have happened so far in the story that relate most to the motif. We also wrote down what those events tell the reader about that motif.
HW: Study for vocab test tomorrow!
Mockingbird: Day 9 February 6, 2017Posted by garvoille in Uncategorized.
Today we did our oral quiz on Chapters 2-4.
HW: Study for your vocab test on Wednesday! You will need to know how to use the 10-15 words AND you will need to know the 10 prefixes we learned.
Read Ch. 5, 6, 7, 8 for Friday 2/10. (If in Standard and reading Mockingbird, remember you can read the summaries of ch. 7 and 8 instead of reading them. Here is a copy of the bookmark you received: TKAM Standard Reading Bookmark.
Mockingbird: Day 8 February 3, 2017Posted by garvoille in Uncategorized.
We filled out our yellow reading guides today as a class, focusing on the timeline and family trees. You can pick one up in the classroom if you were absent!
HW: Finish reading through Ch. 4 for Monday.
Mockingbird: Day 7 February 2, 2017Posted by garvoille in Uncategorized.
Today we passed back papers so students could see their new Product Critique grades (to see how they got their high report card grades!). Then, we did a free read and took an oral quiz on Chapter 1. If you are reading Go Set a Watchman, we’ll do your oral quiz tomorrow.
HW: First period, complete vocab drawings for tomorrow. All others: Read Mockingbird chapters 2-4 by Monday, Watchman 2-4 by Monday.
Wordy Wednesday: Unit 2, Day 4 February 1, 2017Posted by garvoille in Uncategorized.
Today we reviewed for our vocab test which will be NEXT WEDNESDAY!
- Free read–I asked most folks to read To Kill a Mockingbird since chapter 1 is due tomorrow. Here is the audiobook if that’s your style:
- Word organizing. Students all got a strip of our words for this unit: Unit 2 Words (manipulatives). Then, I asked them to group the words based on their meanings. We shared the groupings we came up with.
- Matching/Charades. In some classes we played charades, in some we matched the words on our desks to pictures in a slideshow. Here is the slideshow if you’d like to review at home: Unit 2 Review (Picture Matching and Charades)
- Finally, in every class except first period (sorry, fam), we started drawing mnemonic device comics to help us remember the hardest word. Here are the directions: Vocab Drawing Mnemonic.
HW: TWO THINGS! Finish reading chapter 1 of TKaM or Go Set a Watchman AND finish your vocab drawing (except 1st period).