Critical Media Literacy: Days 7 and 8 December 11, 2016Posted by peprather in Uncategorized.
- Target Audience. We talked about the concept of target audience in media production and marketing strategies that target people based on race.
- We examined Facebook’s use of racial identity to market commercial products to specific demographics. We watched a video made by Verizon and Facebook that discusses their marketing techniques to target an American Hispanic audience. The video is found here: https://www.facebook.com/business/a/us-hispanic-affinity-audience
- Afterwards, we played Philosophical Chairs and debated whether or not it is harmful for companies to market commercial products based on racial identity.
- Writing a Claim. The following day we worked on writing strong claims about the commercial products that everyone selected to use for their critique.
- Writing a Claim. We went over this handout and discussed the parts of the claim together: writing-a-claim
- Writing a Claim. We re-read the articles we annotated last week and identified the each author’s claim.
- Writing a Claim. We spent time sharing out about products. Everyone practiced telling each other about their products with other classmates.
- Writing a Claim. Afterwards, everyone wrote their claim on a notecard.